CollectiveX is Hiring, and we are Helping
One of our first Ruby on Rails clients, CollectiveX, is looking to hire two Ruby/Rails experts in the Washington DC area. CollectiveX is an established, funded startup providing a collaboration platform for companies and groups. You can read more about their platform and success at VentureBeat and TechCrunch.
We are handling the screening and interview process for these candidates. Both positions require developers who have built big apps in Rails before with established, active user communities. The full job descriptions are below. If you think you would be a good fit for either position, please email us a resume at email@example.com. Tell us why you would be a good fit, what big apps you've worked on, and what open source you have contributed to. Expect to be interviewed as if you were you interviewing for a full time Relevance position, which includes a full day of pairing at our North Carolina office if you pass the initial screenings.
Two Rubyists Needed: Director of Software Engineering and Senior Rails Developer
Our team wants you if you are a passionate, motivated technical leader and Ruby developer ready to take things to the next level. You should have exceptional communications skills including experience working with executives, engineers and users. You must also know consumer web products and have a knack for improving existing web products.
In the Director role, we will look to you to prioritize and lead software development based on business objectives and evolving user needs. You must be an experienced lead developer or development manager with experience working in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment that demands focus and grace under pressure.
In the Developer role, you will collaborate with the technical team to develop software and applications to support the CollectiveX back-end technology.
These are hands-on roles for someone who wants a leadership role while remaining deeply technical day in and day out. The existing application is a mature Rails code with a large active user base. It needs technical leaders who can act decisively and quickly to learn the current code base, handle any critical business features or defects, all while planning and implementing future releases.
CollectiveX is a profitable startup building a platform that sits at the intersection of online groups and listservs (Yahoo! Groups), collaboration software (MS Sharepoint) and social networks (LinkedIn, Facebook). Our core application has been live and growing in users since 2006. We pay great salaries (plus stock options), are led by a CEO who has founded previous successful startups, and have an established team and proven business model.
- Maintain and monitor the production environment; troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Leading software teams for key projects, product development, testing and implementation
- Work with executive, marketing, design and engineering team members to define and prioritize new products and features and then lead the way in feature development
- Ensure the timely launch of features
- Coordinate code reviews with our development partner and team members
- Develop feature enhancements internally, including analysis, design, programming, QA, deployment, and support, in an iterative, pragmatic manner
- Translate product vision into technical reality
- At least 8 years progressive development experience. 4 most recent in some sort of lead developer role (i.e. tech lead, chief architect, senior developer)
- A proven track record of implementing high-performance, high-traffic, high-availability, and highly-scalable systems for a consumer website
- Experience in a 24x7 e-commerce environment, including payment systems
- Advanced expertise in all things Ruby and Ruby on Rails - experience in releasing and/or maintaining open source code, deploying large applications, memcache, working/starling, and TDD/BDD are welcome
- Experience building RESTful web services APIs for developers and integrating third-party web service APIs
- Extensive experience performance tuning web applications in a Linux environment
- Experience in C, Perl, Java, and other languages a plus
- Experience with project management tools and/or bug tracking tools
- Energized by the opportunities and challenges of a start-up
Please Do Not Apply If
- Your largest web application was 5000 lines in Rails (or equivalent sizes in Java, Python, etc)
- You have never needed to use memcache (or similar tools) to scale an app
- Your only real world experience with Ruby or Rails includes demo apps and side projects
- We are located in the Baltimore-DC area
- We want candidates who can be on-site and in our office, though we are very open to partial telecommuting once you are established
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the role you are best suited for, and why you would rock at it.