We talk to Lynn Grogan, Cognitect's Events Manager, about her 211-mile hike along the John Muir Trail in California.
Subscribing to The Cognicast
As we move to complete the technical infrastructure work around the merger of Relevance and Metadata Partners into Cognitect, we will definitely be providing a subscription feed for The Cognicast. In the meantime, you can be sure not to miss an episode by continuing to subscribe to ThinkRelevance: The Podcast via the above links. All new episodes of The Cognicast will be published via these existing channels, and when we do get a new feed, we'll figure out how to make the transition seamless.
You can send feedback about the show to firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a comment here on the blog. Thanks for listening!
Our Guest, Lynn Grogan
Lynn chose "Shovels and Rope" by The Thread as the intro and "Clackin' Heels" by He's My Brother She's My Sister to end the show.
- That song from True Blood
- John Muir Trail
- 6:20 - We're all the type of people who want to run away and join the circus, but instead we're doing this trail.
- "Classic Hikes of the World" by Peter Potterfield
- 7:55 - How do you even start planning for a hike like this?
- Backpacking Light - advice for gear and preparation
- Time-lapse video of Yosemite Wild Fires, August 2013
- 14:12 - How did you decide to do this? What motivated you?
- 18:55 - Planning: planned a lot for gear, didn't plan enough for food.
- Lone Pine, CA
- Tremors - "No Richter scale can measure it; no scientist can explain it."
- 20:55 - Adventures in hitchhiking: they didn't seem like they would be axe murderers.
- 29:25 - What were the low- and high-lights of the three week hike?
- Aleksander Gamme is overjoyed by snacks while walking back from the South Pole
- 35:11 - She met a bear, who looked inconvenienced.
- 38:00 - Lessons learned about food.
- Mountain House Lasagna
- Mt. Whitney
- 42:10 - Injuries you saw or sustained?
- Clojure/conj 2013
- 47:05 - Why move the Conj from Raleigh this year?
- 50:50 - What should we look forward to at this year's Conj?
- Conj Speaker line-up
- 52:55 - Lynn gives a shout-out to seriously impressive 2013 hiking record-setters.
- Lynn's resources for hiking the John Muir Trail
Episode Cover Art: