There's this fantastic blog meme running around which goes "shuffle your iPod and list the first fifteen songs". I've tracked it back this far before I ran out of energy. Regardless, I think it is everything a blog meme should be: self-centered, self-important, and mostly content-free. Its perfect. I'm in.
I'm in a castle in Denmark, its 1:31am, and here's my list:
- High Speed Train, R.E.M., Around the Sun
- Final Straw, R.E.M., Around the Sun
- Cruisin' for a Bruisin', The Reverend Horton Heat, Liquor in the Front - Poker in the Rear
- Cornet Chop Suey, Louis Armstrong, The Hot Fives Vol. 1
- That's Why I'm Here, James Taylor, That's Why I'm Here
- Around the Sun, R.E.M., Around the Sun
- Man on the Moon, R.E.M., Automatic for the People
- Angels of the Silences, Counting Crows, Across a Wire
- Hateful Hate, 10,000 Maniacs, Blind Man's Zoo
- Terrible Brain, Pressure Boys, The Complete Recordings
- Frank Sinatra, Cake, Fashion Nugget
- VooDoo Roller, Space, Spiders
- Until I Met You, Duke Ellington, First Time
- Drop Dead, Space, Spiders
- Fire, Jimi Hendrix, The Ultimate Experience
What does this list tell us? Well, start from the fact that the iPod had 3416 songs to choose from, and the fact that three of them are from the same R.E.M. album (not to mention the most recent album added to the library) and the "randomness" of shuffle is really called into question. There are also four boxed sets or "greatest hits" albums on the list, and another repeat with two songs from Space.
Maybe if I shake the iPod a little, it will random-up a bit....